Living with Water and Volcanoes
Feel the heat of the earth in Japan's deep north!
Six days, five nights
Min 4 pax - Max 10 pax
- Trek across two national parks in the Tohoku area of northern Japan
- Experience and learn the connection among volcanoes, hot-springs and local culture/lifestyle.
- Dive into a natural hot-spring river called “Extreme Onsen”.
- Make meaningful connections with the local people of Tohoku through unique cultural experiences and a first-hand taste of local life.
Fukushima & Miyagi Prefecture
Trekking (some walking) / Cultural Activity
Japan is one of the most volcanically active destinations in the world. Discover how (and why!) the people of Tohoku have built their lives in coexistence with these fiery giants as you trek across the volcanic peaks of Oze and Bandai-Asahi National Parks.
Danger aside, living with volcanoes also brings great blessings, not least of which being bountiful hot springs. More than just a bath, these springs are lifelines protected by the ‘Yumori’ – onsen guardians – who risk their lives to maintain a harmonious relationship between nature and the local people.
What’s Included• 5 nights accommodation
• 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
• All transport and transfers as listed in itinerary
• Some snacks and refreshments
• Travel insurance
• English speaking guides / interpretation
Not included• Airfares and transport to/from start and end points.
• Personal expenses
• Alcoholic beverages with meals (unless stated otherwise).
- DAY 1
Arrive in Hinoemata village and trek about 11km to a mountain hut at Miharu in Oze national park.
You’ll be gifted with a traditional handicraft ‘Nodate Mug’ to be your partner for the journey, to use in coffee breaks, for Miso soup at lunchtime and (of course) sake!
- DAY 2
Trek around 14km through the beautiful Ozegahara wetlands and woods.
Visit the historic Ouchi-juku village before relaxing in the hot spring baths of Ashinomaki Onsen.
- DAY 3
Visit local sake brewery Himonoya-shuzo and learn how they’ve used local water for centuries to create their popular ‘Senkonari’ sake. Discover the deep connections between water and sake brewing.
Trek about 1 hour before diving into a natural hot-spring river!
- DAY 4
Today’s trek (10km) is all about experiencing how local people are connected to volcanoes and hot-springs (onsen).
You will meet the Yumori (onsen guardians) and learn how they’ve risked their lives to protect the onsen for centuries. You’ll come to realise the deep connections between sake making, local water, onsen and volcanoes, and also how the local people are striving to maintain this culture and way of life.
- DAY 5
Day 5 is a day for relaxing! Take a leisurely walk around a volcanic crater and arrive at your lodging around 2pm, with plenty of time to enjoy a craft beer in the footbaths!
- DAY 6
Travel to Miyagi-Zao and trek about 2km to see a huge, emerald-green caldera lake, guided by a traditional guide called “Sendatsu”.
- Hinoemata Village (Fukushima Prefecture)
- Six days, five nights
- Min 4 pax - Max 10 pax
- Sign-up Deadline
- Bookings by request for departure April - Oct.
- Cancellation Policy
- • Cancelled more than 21 days prior to departure: Zero fees.
• Cancelled between 20 and 8 days prior to departure: 20% of the Tour
• Cancelled between 7 days and 48 hours prior to departure: 30% of the
• Cancelled between 48 and 24 hours prior to departure :40% of the Tour
• Cancelled within 24 hours of departure: 50% of the Tour Price.
• Cancelled on the day of departure: 100% of the Tour Price.
*No refunds will be given after the tour has commenced.*
- If the minimum number of participants is not met the event will be cancelled.
Are you looking for a ‘deeper’ kind of travel?
At Tohoku ‘Local Secret’ Tours we can also suggest custom-made itineraries to meet your travel needs! You want to experience what’s unique to Tohoku.
You want to visit the places where the locals go; the places not listed in guidebooks!
You want to meet and interact with local people. You want to take your time exploring Tohoku so you need a guide, or perhaps an English-speaking driver...
...whatever you need for your Tohoku travel, we have it covered!
Feel free to contact us with any inquiries. We will respond within two business days after receiving your message.